Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Running is...

Running is hard. Sometimes. Other times, it is euphoric and wonderful. We need those runs to keep us going on the craptastic days that happen to all of us. (please say they happen to all of us!)Running when it is early and you are tired is hard. Running when you can see the stars and there are no cars is beautiful. Running and feeling those extra pounds jiggle is frustrating. Running and seeing the muscles in your legs is empowering.

Life gets in the way of running. So does laziness. Yesterday was a combination. I planned to get up early, but I was just too tired. I needed rest. I planned to run when I woke up. But then there were things that needed to get done. I'll run in the afternoon. We decided it was the day to take the training wheels off my 5 year olds bike and ride. I ran along side her, but that doesn't really count. Would I have wanted to miss that moment? Not a chance. And of course we had to get ice cream after. Now I definitely need a run. And then my son lost a tooth. His sister kicked it out, (thankfully a baby tooth that WAS loose). You can imagine how well that went over. Suddenly my day was over, and my chance to run had been missed. Life happens, especially with kids.

So I was up bright and early. Okay, very dark and early out the door by 4:30am. My legs felt tired even with the rest day. I started on my way, enjoying the stars and a cool morning. I love that about living here. It is August, and it was 47 degrees this morning. by mile 1, I was starting to enjoy my run. By mile 2, my stomach was telling me in no uncertain terms that it was unhappy and I needed a pit stop. Um yeah, nothing is open at 4:30am. I detoured to home. I was just shy of 3 miles, and didn't want to end there. I headed back out and did another small loop to end just past 5 miles.

Then my day started. All three kids to the dentist by 8am (never again will I make an 8am apt). The kids are up by 7am, but getting them dressed, fed, and out the door in a timely matter is frustrating to say the least. And why, WHY does someone ALWAYS lose their shoes when it is time to go? Directly after the dentist, we had a preschool interview for JJ. Whoa, they really meant interview. Colors, shapes, count to 20, find the letters in your name from random order, etc. It was a little stressful!

Good news! She passed! And now I give myself a mommy pat on the back for teaching her enough to pass. Whew!

I need to do my second workout this afternoon, but I'll admit, I am seriously considering a nap.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is quite an interview for preschool! I hate the crappy run days but the awesome days really make up for it!

    ReplyDelete