Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pear Blossom Race Report

On Saturday was the Pear Blossom Festival in Medford. They have a 1 mile, 5k, and 10 mile race. The race had sold out at 4000. I signed up for the 10 mile, but went in to the actual race with tempered (low) expectations after having to take nearly two weeks off in March. Saturday morning we needed to leave the house around 6am. My in-laws were in town visiting, and decided to come along. Which meant we got on the road about 6:25, (my MIL grumbling about the ungodly hour all the way). We got into Medford, and the directions we had didn't work because of detours for the race. The race started at 8:15, and it was 7:50. I was starting to stress. I still needed to find A at the start line to get my bib. The fam dropped me off two blocks from the start, and I warmed up (aka RAN) to the start line to find A. They ended up starting a little late, so it worked out okay. Whew. The start coral was CROWDED! It's been a while since I've done a big race like that. The 5k and 1 mile had started half an hour earlier, so it was just the 10 milers and it was still huge. A lined up right near the front since she's speedy, I put myself around the middle. They started counting down, and the muskets were supposed to fire after the countdown. Someone accidentally fired on 3, and we were off. Mile 1: People watching is so great at bigger races. I saw Fred Flinstone and Barney Rubble, a guy in a green tutu, and two girls in fairy wings. Mile 2: Still relaxed but dodging people, playing name that brand on runners clothes. Amazingly fun. (my husband thinks this means I have been shopping online too much) Mile 3: We start heading out of town, I am happily holding under a 10 min pace and feeling comfortable. Mile 4: Why am I such a retard trying to drink while running? All they had was water, and my shot blok is stuck in my teeth. The only big hill on this course is between 4-5. It isn't long, but a steep uphill and downhill. I ROCKED that hill. I passed everyone near me. Okay, running all the hills around here is paying off. Mile 5: Lots of people at the turnaround, still feeling really good. Tackle the hill again-same thing. Seeing lots of people starting to walk. Mile 6: Still feeling comfortable, keeping my eye on the green tutu guy. Mile 7: walked through the water stop to make sure it got in my mouth! Mile 8: I feel a twinge in my shin and back off pace a little. Am I hurt? Where is the pain? I walk a water stop, start running again and feel okay. Mile 9: I realize my pace is coasting but I still feel good! I pick it back up. Mile 10: I start picking people off, and pushing the pace. Last mile, 8:55. I try to catch green tutu guy, but miss him by about 30 feet. I did pass 7 women the last mile. 10.1 miles 1:37 9:41 pace I finished feeling great, like I could have run a full half at that pace. Dang, I think I left way too much in the tank. I was being so conservative with my pace not wanting to bonk, I took it too easy!
The only picture my husband got of me from the race. He missed the finish, expecting me about 1:45. So the only picture I have my eyes are closed!

After the race, there was a parade. I changed in the car, and we went to the parade route. All they had for food was bananas, so I ate one but wasn't feeling all that hungry. We went to the coffee shop to get something, but nothing looked good. I wanted salty, not sweet. Shortly after, I got sick to my stomach. Way sick. I've been sick after races before, but this time was the worst! So I spent the parade in the bathroom, and later when we went shopping at Costco, I handed over the list and spent my time dry heaving in the restroom. (TMI I know) I couldn't hold down liquid and knew I needed some calories. It was horrible. I finally kept down some gatorade, and made myself sleep in the car hoping I could make it home without being sick. We made it home, and I started munching, (even though I didn't feel like it) and replacing fluids. By dinnertime, I felt okay. Not great, but okay and able to eat.

Sunday morning I woke up feeling great. Still a little dehydrated, but not at all sore. I am always disappointed when I am not sore after a race-it means I didn't push to the limit. We went out for an easy few miles to loosen up, which turned into 5 gorgeous miles of recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment