Monday, March 28, 2011

Is it spring YET?

I am done with snow. D O N E. It is almost April, and we have snow on the ground. Wrong I tell you. As bad as the weather has been, it did make not being able to run for 10 days slightly easier. Very slightly. Okay, it still drove me crazy. I had my wisdom teeth removed almost two weeks ago, and it was BRUTAL. Way worse than I expected. I was thinking 3-4 days off, and I'd be back. Yeah, not so much. To add to the fun, the day after my surgery, my dad called to let me know my Grandma had passed away. And I was still hopped up on pain meds. So, my husband got to drive us all the way to Washington, (me drooling all the while). Like most runners, without running I find it very difficult to process lifes various challenges. I felt rather numb, and couldn't place why. Running is such a huge part of my "me" time that it is when I do all my thinking, processing, venting, etc. You get the picture. 10 days was a long time to go without my therapy of choice. Saturday's run with A was discouraging. I felt out of shape, out of breath, and slow. 5 miles had never felt so hard-at least not in recent memory. My mouth still throbbed, which was equally frustrating. The good news, we stopped to shop afterwards and I found a really cute dress for $10. Sunday, we had planned to run together without a real distance in mind. If I needed a walk break doing 5, I wasn't sure how it would go. Thankfully, I was feeling much better and had remembered to take some advil in advance. We thought six, then seven. As our turn options became fewer, it was looking like around 8. I was feeling pretty good, just tired. We got almost back to my house, realizing we would be at around 8.5. A expressed her frustrating that Dailymile rounds up-so we went around the block. And finished at 9.4, kind of defeating the purpose-but my legs were DONE. Added to that, it had been snowing HARD the whole time. We were soaked. The flakes were pretty the first couple of miles; after that, not so much. Later that evening A texted me saying she had to finish to make it an even 10. I couldn't argue with that, and after a rest, what's another .6? So I asked my son if he wanted to come with me. He was so cute, and wanted to sprint and walk. We are still working on pacing. He and I ran .75. He was so proud of himself. I am hoping as the weather improves, the kids can come with me more for short runs. Like my cooldown. This morning was my first solo run since my break. I woke up at 4:30am (ugh) and looked out the window to 2 inches of new snow. Not so bad. I got dressed and headed out the door. The snow was crunchy with ice underneath. If I had known that, I would have found my yaktraxs. It was still snowing, and slick. I needed this run though. To think. To grieve. To zone out-running in the snow by light of a headlamp is funny that way. I came home with tired legs, a cold body, but a peaceful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment