Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Favorite Recipe

This is a recipe for my favorite dinner. It isn't difficult, (which is good for me) and is so good!

Homemade Gnocchi (potato pasta)
1 1/2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes, cooled
1 Egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2-2 cups all purpose flour

combine mashed potatoes, egg and salt: mix well. Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and mix until dough begins to form into a ball. Turn dough out onto cutting board; knead lightly until smooth. Sprinkle additional flour over surface as needed to form a dough that is not sticky or dry.
Divide dough into six equal portions, roll each portion into a 1/2 inch thick log across length of cutting board (like a long snake).
Use a pizza cutter cut each log into 3/4 inch pieces, forming pillow-shaped gnocchi.
Carefully drop gnocchi into boiling water. Once gnocchi rises, boil 2 miles. about 4 min total. Darin in large colander.

Walnut Pesto
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese

microwave walnuts 1-2 minutes, stirring after each 30 seconds, until fragrant and lightly toasted. place walnuts and basil on cutting board. finely chop together. combine basil mixture, oil, pressed garlic, salt and pepper.
Add pesto to cooked gnocchi, mix gently. Grate Parmesan cheese over gnocchi.

*I don't measure the pesto exactly-I use a whole package of basil, and probably more walnuts too. Just guess until it looks and tastes good! (sorry, that's how I cook)
I love this recipe. Very simple, and pretty fast too. The kids like to "help" make the snakes. The gnocchi is low fat-I use the Costco instant mashed potatoes, and do the low fat recipe.

As for my running self:
I had a 30 minute tempo scheduled for today. I had to do the treadmill because of torrential freezing rain. I had a very hard time feeling comfortable with my rhythm and my pace. the treadmill makes the pace seem harder, and seemed hard on my legs today. I did 5 miles total, 32 minutes at 8:30 pace with one 30 second break in the middle. Why is it easier to cheat and take a break on the treadmill? I would have toughed it out had I run outside. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment