Sunday, January 10, 2010

Loses and Gains

I was reading magazines while in line at the grocery store. I have a talent for picking the slowest line, no matter how many are in front of me. I was looking at People Magazine (I think), and saw an article on Jared (the Subway guy). It was talking about how he knew he wasn't making great food choices, but wasn't concerned-figuring it was just a few pounds. He was shocked to discover that it wasn't a few-he went from 190lbs back up to 221lbs (again, I think-not sure on his weight right now).

It got me thinking how easy it is to gain back the weight we work so hard to lose. I lost 60lbs through running and very careful eating. As my running mileage went up, I gave myself more leeway with my eating habits. A few cookies here and there aren't going to make me gain weight, and I stopped feeling the need to measure my food. I just tried to keep a good balance, which has worked well. I have kept the weight off with very few instances of going up 3-4 lbs, then back down.

After Christmas, I weighed myself for the first time in a while. I was up 4lbs-not a big deal, but frustrating. I know I spent most of December eating horribly! I have a serious weakness for all things sweet, so having and baking an endless supply of sugar cookies, pie, candy etc is not a great idea. I have no willpower. When I was dieting, I couldn't have any sweets in the house.

I went to the doctor last week, and I was up 7lbs. Wow, it is a slippery slope. It is still not a huge number, but I can very much see how easy it is to be like Jared was-I exercise, therefore I can get away with eating whatever I want, right? Not so much.

I am writing this blog to help keep myself accountable. Here are my goals for this week:

1. Follow my Training Schedule-winter is hard for me, I hate being cold. I know the increase in mileage and intensity will help with the extra pounds.

2. Keep a Food Log-accountability is good. I learned having to write down everything I put in my mouth does help, and keeps me honest-like stealing a few pieces of the kids candy.

3. Make Better Food Choices-
a. Eat a large enough breakfast after my run where I am not hungry and munching an hour later
b. Make good snack choices, fresh fruits and vegetables
c. Don't wait to eat until I am starving!
d. Cut WAY back on the sweets-no more candy, or cookies. I will try to not have any sweets until Saturday (long run day).

4. Cross-training-I usually do well Monday and Tuesday, but slack off towards the end of the week when I get tired. I am teaching a Ballet Conditioning Class on Thursday, so that will be good motivation for the week.

I am not so much worried about the number on the scale, (although I am not happy with it either). This weeks big goal is just to make better healthy choices overall. I think that will make a big difference.

Other suggestions? Comments?

3 comments:

  1. Those are great goals! It's so hard this time of year to keep eating under control. I too have no off switch when it comes to sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sooo important to stay on top of weight gain. Seems you have great focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree writing down food in a log is important. I know that before I eat that donut I think do I really want to put that down. When I'm really into watching the food (not necessarily dieting), I think of it in terms of calories, like dollars. I could have this candy at 200 calories or I could have some triscuits and fruit at 200 calories AND not be hungry in 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete